How to Use Your GoPro HERO 8 as a Webcam
After spending months in our homes, we all have become used to working from home and socializing from our homes remotely. The transition would not have been that easy without our webcams and video chat apps. However, there is always a scope for improvement, and the one thing that you can do to improve your video chats and online meetings is getting a new and better webcam for yourself.
But the sad news is that all the good webcams are either sold out or are not available very easily. But if you have GoPro HERO 8, then you can solve the problem of not having a great webcam. All you need is one small app that will make your GoPro HERO 8 a webcam, and the name of the app is GoPro webcam Beta.
The app is available for MacOS and Windows. However, it is still in beta testing; therefore, you might face some bugs and compatibility issues too. Besides this, you also have to install beta firmware on your GoPro device to run the app. But don’t worry even if you face any issues you can write them on the GoPro dedicated support forum and the support team will help you solve all your errors and issues.
How to use GoPro HERO 8 as a webcam?
To use GoPro HERO 8 as your webcam, you will need these things
- Your GoPro HERO 8 device.
- A Mac system with a microSD card slot or an external microSD card reader.
- USB-C cable
- Beta firmware installed on your GoPro HERO 8.
Note: You have to install the beta firmware on your device manually to use your device in webcam mode on your computer.
Once you have made all the necessary arrangements follow these steps to make your GoPro HERO 8 a webcam:
- Download and install the GoPro Webcam App on your GoPro HERO 8.
- Launch the GoPro Webcam App.
- Turn off your device and connect it to your system using the USB cable. You will see a USB icon on the device’s display and a blue dot on the GoPro icon in your system’s status tray. If you face any issues, make sure that the GoPro Labs app is closed. You cannot use the GoPro Webcam app and GoPro Labs app together.
- Now your GoPro HERO 8 has been connected as a webcam to your System, and you will see it listed as a camera device when you use a video chat, streaming, and recording app on your system. To use GoPro 8 as a webcam, you have to manually update your app settings. But this is not that hard and can be done very easily.
The app is still in beta testing and does not have lots of features yet, but the app provides two different video resolution (1080p and 720P) options to its users. To change the video resolution:
- Click on the GoPro Webcam icon in the status bar
- Next, click on “Preferences.”
- Select the desired video quality and click on the “Apply” button to confirm your choice.
- Video resolution would be updated as per your selected video quality.
GoPro HERO 8 comes with HD resolution, and it is also not that big too, which makes it a perfect device for being used as a Webcam on your system. So, try the app now and start using your device as a webcam and do let us know about your experience in the comment section below.
Aida Martin is a creative person who has been writing blogs and articles about cybersecurity. She writes about the latest updates regarding office.com/setup and how it can improve the work experience of users. Her articles have been published in many popular e-magazines, blogs, and websites.